Holy Name of Mary Convent

The need to help Polish immigrants get established in a new country brought the Felician Sisters from Buffalo to Toronto, Ontario, Canada in 1937. Until 1956, they lived in a convent on Augusta Avenue in downtown Toronto, where they conducted a day nursery for children of working parents and a community meals program. In 1993, this space became St. Felix Centre, a place dedicated to providing a safe and welcoming environment to those on the margins. In 1956, the Felician Sisters acquired an estate on Mississauga Road, in Port Credit, with an English Tudor-style family home and 26 acres. They accomplished a renovation without any demolition of walls, giving the building a chapel, study rooms, dining rooms, dormitories, and administrative offices. In 1958, with the help of volunteers and benefactors, a Lourdes Grotto was erected in a secluded spot on the convent grounds. Holy Name of Mary High School was constructed on the same property and opened in 1964.

Serving where needed since 1874

Founded in Poland in 1855, the Felician Sisters are a congregation of women religious inspired by the spiritual ideals of their foundress, Blessed Mary Angela Truszkowska, and Saints Francis of Assisi, Clare of Assisi and Felix of Cantalice. Arriving in North America in 1874 following Blessed Mary Angela’s directive “to serve where needed,” they helped to weave the social service system. Today, the Felician Sisters founded, sponsor or support through the presence of our sisters, more than 40 ministries – all continuing to evolve to meet the needs of the people they serve.

Sign up for our e-newsletter

Provincial Offices

Provincial Information

  • Felician Sisters of North America is a 501(c)3 tax-exempt organization.
  • EIN 27-1282473
Felician Sisters of North America