Immaculate Heart of Mary Convent

In 1893, the Felician Sisters purchased a 6-acre site in Cheektowaga, a suburb of Buffalo. Over the next 20 years, as more and more young women joined them, they outgrew this property. In 1921, they purchased a new site on the outskirts of Buffalo, and in 1929, they dedicated the new chapel, motherhouse, and academy. With 80,000 square feet, Immaculate Heart of Mary Convent comprises two broad rectangular buildings, each with an inner court, and a church with a choir at the center, constructed of red brick in Gothic revival style. Built with plans brought to America from Poland, this convent was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2006. The original school, known as Villa Maria Academy, closed in 2006 and was repurposed in 2023 as Angela’s House, affordable housing for seniors.

Serving where needed since 1874

Founded in Poland in 1855, the Felician Sisters are a congregation of women religious inspired by the spiritual ideals of their foundress, Blessed Mary Angela Truszkowska, and Saints Francis of Assisi, Clare of Assisi and Felix of Cantalice. Arriving in North America in 1874 following Blessed Mary Angela’s directive “to serve where needed,” they helped to weave the social service system. Today, the Felician Sisters founded, sponsor or support through the presence of our sisters, more than 40 ministries – all continuing to evolve to meet the needs of the people they serve.

Sign up for our e-newsletter

Provincial Offices

Provincial Information

  • Felician Sisters of North America is a 501(c)3 tax-exempt organization.
  • EIN 27-1282473
Felician Sisters of North America